Redeemed & Resolved | Conversations you wish you had over Starbucks mocha.

Friday, March 30, 2007

In praise of music

One of the biggest blessings for me has been that of song. By God's grace, He's wired us so that we are somehow better able to remember things when they are put to song. And by God's grace, He's raised up a generation of musicians to better do that and improve and deepen our worship of God.

This has been one song that's been in my head lately. It's really simple to sing. Only a few lines. No fancy chord progression or anything. But it's filled me with such a peace and hope.

Turn Your Eyes upon Jesus -
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
look full in His wonderful face
And the things of this earth will grow strangely dim,
in the light of his glory and grace.
I love this song. It is a continual reminder to meditate upon Jesus and who He is. It pushes me to the Word of God, that I might better know Christ as He has revealed Himself. It encourages me to stop focusing upon myself and my personal failings and the anxieties of this world, but reflect upon a God who is so glorious, so awesome, so gracious, that He sent His Son so that I might have life, joy, hope, and eternal fellowship with Him. It reminds me of the promises of God, that He for His own glory, had mercy upon me, a sinner, and having spared me from death by giving His Son, now graciously pours out all other gifts to me.

And the things of this earth grow dim, the tests, the future, the wondering, the questioning, the church, the girl problems (or lack thereof!), all held by a gracious hand of a loving God.

Ephesians 1:16-23
16I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, 17that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, 18having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might 20that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, 23which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home